The consequences of overstaying in Turkey

Update : 03.09.2015 Overstaying in Turkey might occur in three possible ways; A foreign national, might overstay a visa; or might breach the 90 in 180 days rule during his/her stay in Turkey, or might continue to stay in Turkey without renewing his/her residence permit after its expiry period.

90 in any 180 Days Rule In compliance with the Decision of the Council of Ministers dated 10.10.2011, No: 2011/2306, starting from 01 February 2012, total duration of stay of foreigners who visit Turkey as tourists cannot exceed 90 days in any 180 days period. Foreigners, who are intending to stay in Turkey longer than mentioned period (90 days in 180 days period), are required to apply for residence permit.

An overstayer, in all mentioned circumstances, will be subject to administrative fine and as well as might be barred to re-enter Turkey lawfully for a fixed term.


In case of overstaying tourist visa (or breaching 90/180 days rule)  or exceeding validity period of residence permit, foreigners will be subject to administrative fines.   According to Law on Duties no: 492 section 6, failing to apply for residence permit or failing to renew the existing one, does not prevent collection of the fees for overstayed period. Administrative fine may vary according to the nationality of the foreigner. This fee is calculated on the basis of double amount of existing permit fee charges. In addition to the permit fees, if applicable, administrative fine may include residence permit card fee  and single entry visa fee.  (For details permit fees page.)





















South Korea

Hong Kong




Ivory Coast









K. Marino

DAILY FEES 1  $ 0.5 $ 0.4 $ 0.3 $ 0.2 $ 13,30 TL
MINIMUM  MAXIMUM 10-25 $ 5-14 $ 4-9 $ 3-7 $ 2-5 $ 24,80-126,70 TL
FIRST MONTH 25 $ 14 $ 9 $ 7 $ 5 $ 126,70 TL
REMAINING MONTHS 5 $ 3.5 $ 2.5 $ 1.5 $ 0.5 $ 84,20TL


An entry ban is imposed to the foreign nationals who are staying in Turkey illegally when they don’t have valid visa or a valid residence permit.

In case of an overstay of less than 10 days, no entry ban will be imposed.  Moreover “entry ban order will not be issued against the foreigners who exceed the duration of visa, visa exemption or residence permit for more than ten days and arrive at the border gates to exit before a removal decision is taken against them. However, the foreigners who violate the mentioned durations of visa, visa exemption, work permit or residence permit will pay a fine.” (For more information you may consult to the  Ministry of Interior Directorate General  of Migraion Management –Frequently Asked Questions about Foreigners.)

The Length of ban is approximately corresponds to the length of overstayed period.  Notification about the entry ban period and the administrative fine is issued at the border gates.  In case of failing to pay imposed administrative fine, a foreign national might be barred to enter Turkey for five years period.

Maximum duration of an entry ban to Turkey is five years. “The entry ban to Turkey for foreigners whose visa or residence permit has expired and who has applied to the governorates to exit from Turkey before their situation is established by the competent authorities upon which a removal decision has been taken, shall not exceed one year.” (Art.9/4  Law no 6458 on Foreigners and International Protection)

Entry ban might be lifted in case the overstayed person applies to the Turkish missions abroad for the relevant type of visa. Applications are forwarded to the Turkish Ministry of Interior for approval and the visa can be issued upon the affirmative instructions of the Ministry.

[box] Please consider that the website you have visited contains general information only, not legal advice. Although Expatuci Relocation has taken great care in compiling the content of Expat Guide publication and Expat Guide Turkey website,we cannot guarantee that all information is accurate and complete.[/box]


  • For Entry Ban, you may consult to Articles 9 and 10, for new deportation rules you may consult to the second part (section 4) of the Law no.6458.
  • For the interpretation of the Law no.6458,you may consult to the official page of Directorate General of the Migration Management. Frequently Asked Questions about Foreigner



  • faris

    hello , i renewed my residence permit in 3 January and i left turkey 2 weeks after even before receiving my ID card , and i have been out of Turkey for more than weeks now . can i go back to turkey without the residence permit card ? And how can i know if the new card is issued even though my turkish number which i gave to the immigration office is not working ?

    • ExpatGuideTurkey

      Thank you for your comment.

      You will need a new visa to enter Turkey again. However, if your residence permit was issued while you were abroad and you have not picked up residence permit card on time, it might be cancelled by now. After arrival to Turkey you should contact Immigration Office, where you applied for residence permit.

      Kind Regards,

  • maya

    I left turkey 4 days after my residence permit expired, which was the 7th of February 2019
    I was told that if i leave the country and then come back the normal free 90 days of stay will start again. it it true ? cause I need to come back to turkey for 2 more weeks
    Hope you can help.
    best regards

    • ExpatGuideTurkey

      Thank you for your comment.

      You can come back to Turkey after obtaining new visa. However, be informed that if 3 months since your RP expiration date would not pass before your next entrance to Turkey, on the boarder you might be asked to sign a document stating that you will apply for residence permit within 10 days upon arrival.

      Best Regards,

      Your thoughts are important to us. Are you satisfied with the answers we have given to your questions? Please rate us and leave a comment.Click here

  • Hi there. Thank you for helping people with giving them advice in regards to their overstayed visa in turkey. I experienced this myself as well. I went to turkey in March 2018 to visit my family through E-Visa which is only for 30 days. However, I ended up staying for 2 months. When I was leaving turkey, I did pay the fines and the officer told me that if I come back to turkey within one year, I can only stay for 15 days. I will be going back to turkey in March (which is before completing that one year in order to stay more than 15 days) and planning to stay for 45 days this time. Would you please tell me what would happen this time. Also, I am going to Ankara and I have a connecting flight in Istanbul, would they stamp entry on my passport in Istanbul or in Ankara, and vice versa. Thank you for your help in advance.

    • ExpatGuideTurkey

      Dear Ahmad,
      Thank you for your comment.

      If you would overstay in Turkey again, you might be banned to re-enter the country for up to 5 years. If you are planning to stay longer than your visa allows you to, you are supposed to apply for residence permit in Turkey. However, be informed that the application can last up to 2 months and you are not supposed to leave Turkey before procedures would be completed.

      Kind Regards,

      Your thoughts are important to us. Are you satisfied with the answers we have given to your questions? Please rate us and leave a comment.Click here

Leave a Reply